Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Brave Men

New sidewalk going in this week! Below is the lovely wood we've been walking on for the past 18 months, the orange paint marks how we'd like the path of the stone. The smiley face means I'm in agreement.

The men started working this week, a whole day of back breaking work....lots of tree roots...they dug tunnels for flood control too.
Tonight when hubby and I came home we were surprised by a new resident eating his supper! Yes, he's living under our front steps!
(click on photo for closer view, but use back button to come back to blog.)


Can anybody tell me about this reptile?

I found out she's a Common Garter Snake.
My workmen named her Matilda. We have not seen her since I took these photos so I believe she was just passing through. At least I hope so, I read that she can produce up to 80 babies from July to October!


She's about 4 feet long and can eat a toad the size of my fist!




I hope she likes mice and voles too!


She can stay as long as she doesn't scare my workmen away!


2 comments:

Geri said...

I think it is called a rat snake. It can climb walls and trees.

comicbooklady said...

Wow! amazing photo of snake eating frog!scary, gross, and fascinating all at the same time!