A year ago June, I took a class from Gwen Marston through my guild, NSQG. We made Liberated Baskets one day, and Liberated Log Cabins the next day (I put a Liberated House in the middle of my cabin blocks.)
(click on Blue words to go to another link about that subject)
Here's Gwen and I holding my two first blocks.
The blocks were very easy to put together. Gwen is an excellent teacher, if you ever get a chance to hear her lecture or take a class from her, jump on it!
In the meantime, I had been visiting a blog called Lazy Gal. Tonya is a big fan of Gwen's, and on Tonya's blog is a tutoral on how to make Liberated Words. How Perfect!
I had been collecting housework fabric for some time because a friend had said to me, "We wonder what you do!" in reference to the fact that they think I must not do any housework...hubby does it all. Well, I thought this was hilarious and decided to make a quilt about what I DO!
At first I was going create words such as TOILET BOWL SCRUBBING until my friend Bonnie said I should create words of all the things I like to do... loved her idea... here are some of my words.

I told the story of the quilt quite a few times so friends started giving me housework fabric that they had in their stash!

Following is a close up of a word...
It took awhile but the quilt finally came together! P.D. helped as much as possible of course!
Here's a close up of the quilting, I quilted many words into the quilt using thread.
I added extra squares in the border with some of the funny designs on some of the fabric I was given.

Following is a close up of a word...
Hubby is holding up the final version below. While making it I changed the words around a few times and made more words that didn't make it on the quilt in the end.
Had a great piece of backing fabric in my stash, it's so perfect don't you think!
"We Wonder What You Do?" hung in my guild's show a couple of weeks ago.
You know how sometimes you make a quilt and then it gets set aside, maybe takes a few years for you to make a memorable attachment to it? Well, not this quilt, I've loved it the moment it was done. It's comfortable to the touch, it's fun to look at, and it makes me feel good!
And the best part is that when anyone looks at it,
they don't have to wonder what I do!
they don't have to wonder what I do!



4 comments:
Great post about a great quilt! This is the kind of quilt that never fails to bring a smile. So glad you did close-ups. It is easy to miss the wonderful details. I bet Gwen and Tonya love what you did.
hey, what a fabulous quilt! great to stick with it and be able to put it into your show
Moe, have you seen Tonya's new book "Word Play Quilts"? I just finished reviewing it at
http://stickyournoseinabook.typepad.com/blog
woohoo, turned out soooo fabulous. just love this quilt. all that housework fabric is a hoot. much better to quilt all day.
Post a Comment